Translate

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My first day of Lent


I've been wanting to do an "In My Life" or a "365" for a while but knew I didn't have it in me to really do it. So, instead, I'm going to try to do the 40 days of Lent FOR Lent. (and, no, it's not just for Catholics)

Basically what I am giving up for Lent is time. I am going to take time that I would/could normally waste on t.v.. email and other crap and use it instead on actively taking time to either pray, read the bible or some other similarly spiritual activity that might hopefully deepen my relationship with God.

I started my journey tonight at our church, All Souls Fellowship, which hosted a special Ash Wednesday service. It's a church that I found online last year after I got out of the hospital and wanted to find a non-catholic church that offered contemplative prayer. Since then, we wound up having our pre-marital counseling with this same church's associate Pastor, Dan, and feeling quite at home in the sunday services.

Tonight, Pastor Shayne's homily centered on Psalm 51:1-17, which begins with, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love: according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions."

I find that the central themes in my faith are Grace, Forgiveness* and Mercy. And being the nearly completely screwed up person that I am, I am SO grateful for that!
(okay, so I accidentally originally typed "forgivemess", which is really more accurate)

No comments: