Translate

Thursday, February 07, 2008

On the 2nd day of Lent my true love gave to me...

(I don't really have anything clever to finish that "12 days of Christmas" reference)



ANYway, I am not sure but I think I am breaking the rules of my "Time for Lent" thing already because while I write this post I am, in fact, still paying attention to my email inbox, running the laundry and I haven't even really taken time to specifically think about/learn about/talk to God today. Except that as I was trying to straighten up the space next to my side of the bed, that included folding up my awesome prayer shawl and I was like, "hey, I should use this prayer shawl thingy!"

It was knit for me by a group of ladies in Massachusetts who kind of knit prayers into these shawls that they then give to you. It's all kinds of awesome because 1)it's my favorite color in the softest yarn ever 2)you know that someone took the time to hand-make it just for you, so it makes you feel special and loved 3)there's like, loving faith mojo attached to it 4)and you can use it to warm and comfort yourself when you're feeling low, alone and generally chilly. I also have a new shawl, thanks to my awesome friends from Germany (hallo Iso u. Dodo!), that's wonderfully soft with great silver stripes and will be perfect when the weather's warmer.

I actually have been intending to use it in part of a personal "me" time and prayer ritual - to make a pointed effort to step aside from crazy life stuff and have a few quiet moments with myself and with God. Like how some people light a candle or incense or have a favorite spot at the local Cafe where they reboot their spirit. For years it was my bed, pillow, diary and a decent pen that was MY place. And sometimes it still is, although it's not quite as "mine" since I share the bed with Jon (kind of oart of that whole 'married' thing). That's nothing against him, it just means that I need to adjust my "special place" a little and I am blessed to have a whole house to do it in.

At the very least I could use the shawl as my "invisible cape" (I think Harry Potter had one?) where Jon knows that when I have the shawl on me, I am having my own little time and would prefer to be left alone - thus making me "invisible." And hopefully have that head/physical/quiet space that I think most of us are desperately lacking in our lives to reconnect and really feel the ground beneath our feet.

Ah, well, now I'm getting kind of preachy or something annoying like that, so I'll just try my best to do all this stuff I'm talking about and I'll let you know how it goes. We leave for Jon's home-town tomorrow for his Grandpa's funeral this weekend, but I hope I'll still be able to stick to my Lent-y-ness and keep posting here or on flickr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I'm so happy you love your pink prayer shawl. I never saw it before it was mailed, but it looks like she did a great job. The woman who knitted it for you was the mother of one my high school friends, and more importantly my girl scout leader and church youth group leader in high school. Gail is great!

Jen