Translate

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Like a dog with it's head out a car window

Actually, I am not sure that this post will wind up relating to the title - I put it in there because just as this post entry page came up and I was faced with the "Title" box, a car drove by with a dog's head flopping out the window.

So I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks because my eyes tire very quickly when I read because of the strain to focus. It's hard for me to do this, too - but I enjoy it enough to try to power through it. Some of the books are: "Here If You Need Me" by Kate Braestrup, "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and kind of off and on, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Now, before you go and think that I am going to become some drone or cultish freak about any of these books, I'd like to say that I am pretty good at "Taking the Best and Leaving the Rest" and therefore feel that I while I may not agree or feel comfortable with all of the sentiments in these books, there have definitely been some wonderful new insights or means of prespective that I like, admire, adhere to or would like to incorporate into my life.

For example, Elizabeth Gilbert seems to have found great peace and strength by learning and following Yogic and Balinese meditation practices. I would like to have more inner peace and strength myself, but I prefer to lean towards my Christian version of God versus, say, the Buddhist version. For myself, I believe that many of us are praying to, worshipping of and/or following the general same lessons of the same "Higher Power" but that we just take slightly different paths to do so. And so what if they're different. I don't care how you find that spot that is so connected within yourself and to the universe around you as long as it doesn't case harm or infringe on other people and hopefully would instead lead to greater beauty to your life and to the lives of those around you. Although I would say that I do care and would like that people

No comments: